Community Mentoring Program – The Art of Community Mentoring
This generative learning experience has been designed to support you to become a more confident and competent community mentor as you practice in a dynamic and ever-changing environment. This course will include understanding the role of the mentor, the mentoring process and give you some basic mentoring tools for your toolkit.
Interactionz offers multiple series of three modules, all of which are designed around the three areas of focus:
- Self Awareness for staff is our first area of focus. This is about understanding ourselves – our values, our beliefs, our behaviour – and the way in which we impact on others and the world around us. Self-awareness, reflective and reflexive skills provide an essential base for our way of working.
- Self Determination for the persons we support is our second focus. This is about empowerment and shifting the locus of choice and control from us as ‘the service’ to the person we serve. The principles of Enabling Good Lives and The Lightest Touch are the cornerstones of our current best practice.
- Community Strengthening is our third area of focus. This is about discovering and building on the strengths and assets that already exist so that everyone is able to participate in and contribute to their communities. Community mapping and networking are ways to ‘build the bridge from both sides.’
Enjoy gaining new insights and new learnings to generate new actions and new ways in your mentoring practice.
See the modules relating to ‘The Art of Community Mentoring: Series One’ below, and contact us for more details regarding Series Two.
The Art of Community Mentoring: Series One
What you’ll learn…
Module 1 – Engaging with the Heart of Mentoring*
This module will set the scene on how to navigate the complexity of the community sector, to understand the context in which we work and our value to the community. You will be introduced to a proven methodology and process that you can implement in own mentoring practice straight away, and understand why having insight into the way you impact the world around you is fundamental to your role as a mentor.
Module 2 – Growing Effective Relationships
In this module you will learn how to apply the Lightest Touch relationship principle in your mentoring practice. This proven model for best practice is based on ‘not doing for a person what the person can do for them self’. Understanding citizenship rights and responsibilities and their importance in your role as a Mentor is also a key learning in the module.
Module 3 – Building Community Support
In this module you will learn how to build community support (natural supports, community champions, and volunteers) for the people you serve when they transition from paid services to community. You will explore the philosophical and financial reasoning behind why it’s important to ‘build the bridge from both sides’ in our work, and the value in building sustainable relationships between the individual and the community.
*Note: Module 1 is mandatory learning for all participants.
Please contact us to put together a package to suit your needs.
- Off-site (at training provider or other premises)
- On-site (at client premises)
Participant must already be working within a community organisation.